Charles Hayes Building, Haverhill, MA
The Archdiocese of Boston Planning Office for Urban Affairs transformed the Charles Hayes Building, built in two phases in 1894 and 1911, into fifty-seven affordable and market rate apartments and first floor retail space. The former box factory, now known as The Hayes at Railroad Square, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. Thermo Expert installed over 400 historically accurate windows to ensure that the building met the exacting standards of the National Park Service.
The Charles Hayes building received the Urban Land Institute’s 2011 Jack Kemp Workforce Housing Models of Excellence Award, the 2012 Paul E. Tsongas Historic Preservation Award (Preservation Massachusetts), was a finalist for the J. Timothy Anthony Award from the National Housing and Rehabilitation Association, and earned the Merit Award from Multifamily Executive magazine for “Best Adaptive Reuse”.
Dellbrook, The Architectural Team, Inc., Archdiocese of Boston Planning Office for Urban Affairs